Friday, July 29, 2011

Oh...silly MCAT!

Sadly, the last week or so, I have not been able to write much because I've been concentrating on studying for the MCAT, while doing research, and shadowing a neurosurgeon. It's tough to balance it all! In any case, I've learned so much this past week in studying for the MCAT, that I could not come up with a clever title :O! Though, I've been mainly learning about the various body systems, which are a pain! On the MCAT, outside of the immune system and maybe the nervous system, most of the body systems are tested as discrete questions rather than passage-based questions. This means that in order to do well a little memorization is required. A general understanding of each of the systems and major anatomical features should suffice. However, it is imperative that you memorize every hormone and messenger they discuss in the book! They will more than likely show up in the Biological Sciences section in some way, shape, or form. I'll discuss more about the body systems as I study them in the next few days.

As I mentioned earlier, outside of MCAT studying, I have been shadowing a neurosurgeon (Dr. Kenneth Liu, M.D.) at the UVA Medical Center. Dr. Liu is awesome and a wonderful doctor/surgeon/teacher! He's very efficient and does a great job in explaining simple things to you. I've seen several angiograms, vertebroplasties, carotid stenosis, AVMs, aneurysm coilings. I got to assist on a couple surgeries and actually push catheters in and out of patients (really cool!). I also have been to the OR where I've seen a pediatric cranial reconstruction surgery, the removal of a pituitary tumor in a patient with Cushing's disease, and an endoscopic cholycystectomy! If you want to be a doctor, I highly recommend shadowing someone, so you get a feel for what its like to be a doctor/resident in a hospital environment. Whether you go into private practice, teaching, research, or hospital, in order to obtain an M.D. you will have to work in a hospital environment at some point or the other. Well, my eye muscles are closing on me, so I shall stop here!

Cheers,

- BK

No comments:

Post a Comment